Saturday, July 7, 2012

I'm So Happy That I'm Crying...No, Seriously!

As I sit here, starting to write this, it is 6:15 AM on Sunday, March 25, 2012; and I have just finished my 69th show in eleven very short years.  While each show stands out in its own way, this one is special: John Waters' Cry-Baby the Rock Musical...Yes, it's a Johnny Depp movie...Yes, it seems like an odd choice to be musicalized...Yes, it's probably not going to appeal to everyone.  I really don't care.  I have never felt so "right" on stage as I did as member of this production.  I've done plenty of shows, some I really don't care to remember; some as leads, others as chorus.  But I have never felt this way about a show before.  You want to know why? 

It's the cast.

These were not only talented people that I could trust on stage; these were people that I would trust with my life any day of the week: men and women that I would gladly do anything for.  They are neither just my fellow actors nor just my friends.  They have proven time and time again that they are my family.

Never in my life have I been pushed so hard and far by a show; and the ones really doing the pushing were everyone else on that stage with me.  I must admit that I never think I'm talented enough to get some of the roles I do.  But I still count my blessings for getting that little phone call from Scott on October 11, 2012.  That phone call may be the greatest birthday present I ever got.  It didn't matter that it wasn't a lead.  I would gladly do ensemble for any show at New Line, as long as it meant I got to work with actors of this caliber and character. 

When we started the rehearsal process, I was excited beyond all belief.  This was the most rambunctious cast ever: people I'd worked with before; some I'd never even met; and some I'd dreamed of working with.  It only got better as we went further into the rehearsal process, and all came to realize the same thing: we were putting on the American regional premiere of a new musical.  Yes, the show had been produced in La Jolla and New York, but it really didn't get the response it was hoping for.  In addition, it was very unlikely that anyone who saw those productions would be seeing New Line's.  Therefore, this was OUR show; this cast came together, and created our own homage to John Water's insanity, and, to put it mildly, it did in fact rock.

In closing, I just need to say thank you to everyone for making this such a wonderful experience, and I hope I get to work with every one of you again soon.

Christopher Strawhun

No comments:

Post a Comment