Friday, January 13, 2012

Bum Bum Bum Bum...

We finished learning all of the songs this past Tuesday; therefore, it's time for the read-thru.  I have never been more excited for a read-thru than this one.  It's amazing how well the cast envelops the story through the music, but I can't wait to see and hear how we handle the actual text of the show.

Update: After having the read-thru last night, I am so friggin' excited for this show now.  Everyone sounded great, and I know the minute we start blocking, we are going to be in business. 

On the personal side, however, I'm already having some problems, mainly with knowing this music.  There is an awful lot of it, which isn't the problem.  I'm really just not used to having to sing bass.  I mean, I was singing first tenor from 2002 to May 2010.  Evita with New Line was the first time I had ever actually sung Bass/Baritone, and that was difficult enough.  The good thing there was that Eeyan and Aaron were down there with me, so if I couldn't hear it I just had to search for their voices to get back on track.  I still have problems reading bass clef but it's gotten better.  I'm just worried I'm going to eff up the Whiffle stuff.  From what I've been able to tell, I'm anchoring a majority of the chords, so that adds a little more pressure.  The thing is being the only person down on that part.  Oh well, just means that I have to practice more on my own.  Practice makes Permanent, so I just need to know the music even better than I normally do.  

Allison (Elizabeth Stanley) and the Whiffles led by Baldwin Blandish (Christopher J. Hanke)
While I've been working on the music, I've been doing a lot of research into the original movie, production, and just the time period we are depicting.  I thought I knew a lot about the fifties, but there is so much more that I need to look into.  I mean, I can listen to all the oldies and doo-wop I want, but when you start looking at the years some of those songs were coming out, they came out after 1954 (when Cry-Baby takes place).  It's almost like I need to ignore all the fifties music I know and love, and try and come at the show from a different angle.  The Squares are still in the Big Band mentality, almost.  They are the clean cut, probably listening to Glenn Miller, or Count Basie if they are feeling really adventurous.  The Whiffles are almost worse, going back to the barbershop quartet music from the turn of the century.  Meanwhile the Drapes draw inspiration from the rhythm and blues coming down South.  This is the kind of music that would be played underground, in the flop houses and hole-in-the-wall bars found down on Beale Street in Memphis, or at Sam Phillips' Sun Records. 

Well, I gotta get going, so thanks for reading, and don't forget your Anti-Polio shot.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment