Thursday, January 5, 2012

Here We Go Again.

First things first. I has been a long time since I last posted here (well over a year). So much has happened in that time. I started grad school, have been working with theatres around town, and just trying to live each day as it comes. Now that we are caught up, I must start the topic at hand...

Cry-Baby the Musical!!!!!

Rehearsals started early this week for New Line Theatre's production of John Water's Cry-Baby the Musical, of which I am happy and proud to be a member of the cast. This is going to be a fantastic experience, primarily due to the fact that we are the first production outside of the Broadway production. No one else has touched this show, so we are going to be bringing a whole new experience to a welcoming audience. Also, I am technically getting college credit for being in the show, so I'm glad to be sharing the wackiness that develops as well as the process of bringing this show to life.

Now, I'm no stranger to the kookiness that is John Waters. I have been a fan of Hairspray and Cry-Baby since I first saw them on television so many years ago, and now being able to do both in less than a year is even cooler. I still think I fit better in the fifties and sixties, hence the reason why my favorite musicals are Grease and Jersey Boys. Those were the years when rock and roll was created, perfected, and at the same time, destroyed. The fact that this entire genesis makes its way through the show gives me reason enough to enjoy this.

First Rehearsal
As I mentioned earlier, rehearsals started this week, and we have a hell of a show in our hands. Though I was sitting further back in the bass section, I was still amazed by the power and pure "raw"-ness coming from everyone involved. This is definitely not an easy score. In comparing it to the other John Waters' musical, Hairspray ranks as a 6.5 while Cry-Baby hits around a low 8 (for scale significance, I put Birdie at a 4.5 and Sunday in the Park with George at an 11).

The score wages kind of a battle between the lovely, though occasionally cheesy tunes of shows like Finian's Rainbow and Bye Bye Birdie to the pure rockabilly drive created by Sam Phillips and his Sun Record Label. Though I get to sing a little bit of everything throughout, I'm proud to be on the cheesy side, being a Whiffle, one of the harmony guys. I mean, this is the style I grew up on: The Four Lads, The Four Aces, The Lettermen. The Whiffles are the Baltimore version of The Plaids in Forever Plaid, and who can say anything bad about the Plaids?...please don't say anything bad about the Plaids, or else I may get pissy.

At the same time, I'm having so much fun singing these rock songs. I really can't wait until we get to I'm Infected and Girl, Can I Kiss You just because they serve kind of a midpoint. They have that four-part background with the more expressive lyrics, making those numbers almost doo-wop, in my opinion. And, really, if doo-wop is involved, I'm going to be singing somewhere.

Sadly, I must now go. So till next time, watch your ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment